Nitrofurantoin is a recommended treatment for UTIs that helps relieve the burning pain so you can get back to normal. It is an antibiotic. The drug passes through the bladder and out in the urine to treat UTIs and cystitis.
UTIs affect women more than men due to the structure of their reproductive organs. When left untreated, the conditions can develop into serious complications. When combined with painkillers such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or paracetamol, Nitrofurantoin works fast to eliminate the infection.
Nitrofurantoin is sometimes sold as Macrobid capsules. The drug targets cystitis and bladder, or water infections directly in the affected area. This remedy is filtered from the blood into the urine, killing disease-causing bacteria inside the urinary tract. The bacteria are washed out of the body when urinating.
Nitrofurantoin stops inflammation and high temperatures from cystitis within three days. The patient should complete the entire course of treatment even when they feel better. An incomplete dosage can lead to the bacteria becoming resistant to the medication.
Patients with the following conditions are advised to avoid using Nitrofurantoin:
- An allergy to Nitrofurantoin.
- Kidney, liver, or lung disease or a condition affecting the nervous system.
- Porphyria disease.
- Anemia, vitamin B deficiency or having abnormal levels of salts in your blood.
- Lacks an enzyme called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase.
- Nitrofurantoin is an oral medicine suitable for women over 18 years.
- Swallow the capsule with a glass of water.
- Take Nitrofurantoin in the morning and evening.
- Take the medicine with a meal or snack to prevent stomach upsets.
Each capsule contains the active ingredient: Nitrofurantoin 100mg
Each tablet also contains the inactive ingredients: talc, corn starch, lactose, carbopol, povidone, sugar, magnesium stearate, and gelatin, E104, E171, E132, Shellac, Propylene Glycol (E1520), Titanium Dioxide (E171), Black iron oxide (E172), Ammonium Hydroxide (E527) and Simethicone.
Most patients do not experience side effects when using Nitrofurantoin Capsules. Common side effects include:
- Feeling sick, stomach ache, loss of appetite, or diarrhoea.
- Dizziness or drowsiness.
- Changes of mood.
- Skin rashes.
- Hair loss.